Pinbone, Woollahra (2 August 2015) - Last Supper

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

If there exists a food obituary, then this is it. Pinbone shuts shop. The Sydney food scene will rapidly fall from grace.


 Please find me a joint that offers a technical, delicious and filling brunch dish under $20.

A last visit has five of us - well suited given my need for a broad sample set. After a 90 min run, 35 min wait I can only distract myself with pretty coffee art.



Finally the first dish is served. Creamed corn fregola - a chef signature of legendary reputation. 

Fregola, creamed corn, poached egg - $18
I taste sweet corn in rough, congee-like stew. Beyond my comprehension and my only critique is it is ridiculously tasty. 9/10. 

Next up is my personal pet dish, pumpkin congee. 

Malted brown rice congee with mushroom, pumpkin and a poached egg - $18
Impossible to trump this order. Everything compliments and ultimately, the power of molten pumpkin cannot be denied.

Looks small but remarkably, my stomach is well lined. 9/10.

Prawn and egg white omelette - the fine diner's choice. Add the bread, even if you are a Coeliac.

Egg white omlette with prawns, pork floss and chilli - $18
Prawns melt in the mouth, chilli and pork floss excite the tongue. To the first-comer, we are in uncharted territory. Very light dish without the help of carbs. Good bread-to-pan wipe down opportunity delivering a 9/10. 

Bubble & squeak ... I have to google what this is...  

Bubble & Squeak with a fried egg - $16
Convert a Sunday night Irish roast into breakfast form. Earthy flavours, aggressive chopping job but not quite ground-breaking. 8/10. 

Baked beans on toast. I mentally disown my sister for such a rookie choice. She's better off visiting the IKEA food court. 

Baked beans with spicy tomato sauce and fried eggs on toast - $18
Sister taps out 70% through and I get 30%. She's back on the family tree.

This is the modern-day Jack and the Beanstalk situation - I'd happily sacrifice a cow for these beans. Note how chunky, caramelised sauce magically hugs each bean like a mother clutches onto her newborn. Breathtaking. 

The chef's are not shy with spice shakers - I taste cumin and chili. Executed perfectly, but boring. 8/10.

I'm the guy that checks the bill even on his wedding day banquet. Today, I didn't even blink when flashing the AMEX. 9/10 brunch and the best I've had.

A few final food photos below.





 

Click to add a blog post for Pinbone on Zomato

You Might Also Like

0 comments