Cafe Shenkin, Erskinville (November 2015)

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Cafe Shekin shares the same excellent brunch genetics of its Enmore-based mother; Middle-Eastern tilt, massive serves. Honestly, the main difference is amusement over the local clientele.



Erskinville is weird. I observe marauding zombies sucking disposable cups whilst dragging squealing beasts on chains. False alarm - it's just a young demographic of coffee-addicts where ownership of a designer dog is mandatory.

Menu is the same as Enmore! No point repeating the fabulous avocado falafel (The Bite) or baked eggs (Shakshuka) when I've ventured this far...

Lucky, there is back-up.



Shenkin Stack - salmon, egg, bocconocini, labanne and tomato on sourdough - $18.

'Stack' has positive word associations. Thus I don't read the ingredients.



Similar to school and career, lack of literacy skills hurts. I may be on detention.

Clean egg-slicing technique and salmon layering appeals to my OCD. Taste wise, my best translation is a bruschetta married to a DIY Philadelphia cream-cheese job. Boring.



Above, note a giant leaf. It's a decoy and I fell for it. Next time, read the ingredients. 5/10.

Smoked eggplant, zuccini, israeli salad with creamy tahini sauce - $18


Like a black truffle (sub-terrain), a smoked eggplant is a rare find in cafes. Happy days when I sniff one out. Base is crispy with that beautiful charred flavour. With creamy sauce, there is a beautiful contrast.

Fresh, filling and tasty. How can I complain. 8/10.


Shenkin (any outpost) is 8/10. Though you'll never leave hungry at Shenkin, dish selection is an art:

- Good  - The Bite, Shakshuka, Hummus Plate.
- Regret - Shenkin Stack and any standard non-Israeli affairs.

Will I be returning?
Enmore, Surry Hills, Newtown or Erskinville. All the same.

Cafe Shenkin Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato




You Might Also Like

0 comments