Venus Wholefoods, Surry Hills (25 July 2015)

Saturday, July 25, 2015

My brunch-translation of 'wholefoods' is calorie-light, wallet-heavy guilt-free eating. Venus Wholefoods (VW) conforms perfectly.


Stepping in, a shoe-box size food counter sits inside a sleek industrial fit-out. Staple this to a boutique clothing store that sells $400 jeans. 

The set-up is best translated as a haven for sub-30 year old diners, wearing skinny jeans whilst sipping a 3/4 soy latte.

Initially pre-prepared elements (in containers under the counter) alarm me. With just one non-vanilla menu choice, I'm free from the shackles of indecision!

The wife is not so lucky...


For me, I'm all for quinoa served on a board - takes longer to photograph than to consume. 

The Venus Bowl - Quinoa, kale, avocado, kimchi, boiled egg and tarmari seeds - $18.50
I know my quinoa salads. This outperforms by using pickled cabbage (Kimchi) and a very acidic dressing. I doubt raiding my own veggie patch could match this freshness. Creaminess exacerbated by the yolk. 


I'm overcome with remorse when the bowl is empty and a $20 hole is left in my mortgage repayment plan. The bank is not happy with this draw-down. The salad needs robustness of a salmon protein, or if you love animals, a double egg.

The Venus Plate - Avocado, tomato, spinach, feta and boiled egg on soughdough - $15.50
The missus lands on a premium avo-on-toast. Distinguish this from the poor man's smashed version, $3 cheaper. Her expensive taste has always been a near deal-breaker.  


Tasted exactly as eggs, avo and toast should. Great use of acidity. 

Adding cherry tomatoes and feta enough to get me out of bed? No, because Woolworths is across the road. Yummy avo so I start at 7, less 2 for price, add back 1 for a good yolk experience. 6/10. 

Easy on the eyes, easy on the hips but still hungry: 

- Food - 8/10 - yummy but non-technical.    
- Value - 6/10 - at least each dish has a whole avacado. 
- Other - 7/10 - no fuss turnaround, nice staff. Good bolt-on sugary treats that look healthy. 
- Overall - 7/10 - I feel I've eaten these combos too many a time. 

Personally, I prefer my rustic food or larger-portions. With the Shenkin and About Life branches so close, VW is not for me. 

No doubt the food and sweets below leave a lasting impression.  



Will I be returning?
Not until I'm convinced to buy skinny jeans. 

Click to add a blog post for Venus Wholefoods on Zomato 

You Might Also Like

0 comments