Mad Spuds Cafe, Surry Hills (19 July 2015)

Sunday, July 19, 2015

My lasting memory of a talking potato is a support role in Toy Story - the first and worst Pixar-Disney movie.

Mad Spuds Cafe does no favours to my irrational fear of animated spuds. The claim is a 'quality, nutritious and healthy' brunch and the solid reviews suggest a no-frills, hip-friendly feed.



Waitress points me to Vegan Stack ... not as 'healthy' as one would think.

Vegan Stack - Potato & lentil patty, avocado, tofu, Boston beans, corn bread, grilled tomato,roasted quinoa - $16
Various elements do not complement. A stingy avo serving frustrates me, as does the lack of quinoa. My response is to dethrone the green villain with a stolen poached egg (from dish #2).



Beans worth the cost? No - these legumes lacked the kiss of spice.

Certain similarities to Heinz beans albeit some bean size variations. I rejoice seeing a large one then realise they taste the same. Portion is 50% of a 400g can, so where did the rest go?

Next up is a signature, evidenced by the name.

Mad Pan Brekkie - boston beans, pork sausage, hash brown and a poached egg - $16
Consider this a cross between chorizo baked eggs and an IKEA big breakfast. Notably two ugly looking sausage logs sitting on yes, the remaining 50% of the beans.

Hash brown, sausage and beans is best left to the Swedish furniture experts.

A standard conclusion to a good baked eggs is a bread wipe-down of the sauce ...With stale bread, the only wiping is the tears from my cheeks.

At least the flat white tasted OK. I may have detected a hint of potato in the coffee blend.



Both harsh and generous in my scores:

- Food - 5/10 - lacked of freshness and technique. Not particularly tasty nor healthy.
- Value - 8/10 - I like the pricing. Good calorie to dollar ratio.
- Other - 5/10 - lightning service, alarmingly like fast-food.
- Overall - 5.5/10 - expectations not met.

Departing sentiment is one of dismay. The culprit is blind hope rather than a misrepresented menu. The 7 day wait till my next brunch will be a painful one indeed.

Wife came away a lot happier than I, shown below. I credit this to the pork sausage.

Preference to show wife's face noting the cafe score.
Will I be returning?
No.

Click to add a blog post for Mad Spuds Cafe on Zomato

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. More bad news for you Mike, did you see Pinbone is closing at the end of the month? Hope you're not taking it too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know mate it is heartbreaking. I will go there either Sunday or Sunday week for a last supper (brunch).

      Delete
  2. Seen so many good photos, thanks for the tip! Look forward to reading about your last supper :)

    ReplyDelete