Pinbone, Woolahra (7 June 2015) - Revisit

Monday, June 08, 2015

Once again, Pinbone delivers a top quartile winter feed. Initial review 9/10. Hence we return, even hungrier.

Today's two dishes - breakfast rice (left) and brown rice congee (right)
Quality is consistent, the attraction the same; hearty, decent value, impossible to replicate.

A 30km run in the adjacent Centennial Park was not marathon preparation. This was pre-brunch training. Proof below.

Sunday long-run per the Tom Tom Sports Watch
3 stomachs to feed but only two mouths. I simply couldn't deny myself the pumpkin congee again. The legendary creamed corn fregola is for next time.

Malted brown rice congee with mushroom, pumpkin and a poached egg - $18
There's no denying why I get up in the morning.... that butter-soft pumpkin lava. First spoon takes 45s to (spiritually) digest, then the rest is inhaled in 3 minutes. Poor pacing effort. I've got yolk-critique fatigue from 6 months of brunches...

This really is a go-to fine-dining winter choice. Not quite a 10/10, but close.

Dish two is another winter special; brown rice but in a completely different setting.

Breakfast rice with vanilla, almonds and poached pear - $14
Very simply a love child between cinnamon porridge and Asian rice pudding. Creamy, curiously chewy and I'd like 2x the crunchy toasted almonds. So thick the texture is vertically self-standing. A good thing.

Garnish of toasted flaked almonds and poached pear
Feels like a premium dish, yet these are known flavour combos. Can never say no to a poached pear for breakfast or dessert. Not-too-adventurous, but still 8.5/10 because of the lower $14 price.

Side shot of the Breakfast Rice
Heard of a piccolo flat white? I haven't but the serving size was so small it must be a new 'thing'. Fail.

Skim flat white - $4.00
One more shot highlighting a 9/10 Sunday winter brunch.

Birds eye view of breakfast rice and brown rice congee
After that first spoonful, the missus and I closed our eyes and tilted the head back. Similar to intoxication, albeit without the hangover.

Overall, the 1 hour sit-down cost $32 (ex-coffee) but the ensuing happiness was far in excess. The proof is below.

Positive review, thus OK to show my face
Pinbone Sunday brunch is a must. Also try some pre-meal exercise; food becomes 20% tastier.

Click to add a blog post for Pinbone on Zomato

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Have been wanting to try this place for awhile, looks good! I have loved reading your blog after your wife suggested you start. Without a doubt I envy the fact that you do exercise before brunch - I can't seem to get out of bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joy, wow someone reads my blog aside from myself! Pinbone is amazing - for you maybe try creamed corn fregola or the bacon, maple, pumpkin tart and let me know!

      Also desperate to rebuild my wish list. Struggling for new places...

      Delete