Pinbone, Woollahra (26 April 2015)

Monday, April 27, 2015

My maiden brunch at Pinbone was a runaway success on every level. Restaurant-quality food at highly digestible pricing.

These guys cater for sophisticated palates that can actually appreciate several of the Asian-inspired choices. Shame on several rookie diners who I observed eating just eggs on toast.


Two health warnings:
- Sunday wait times comparable to the check-in counter for my Tiger Airways flight last month
- Upstairs acoustics no better than that same Tiger flight with 3 bawling toddlers onboard.

I order brown rice congee with pumpkin based on (i) from a 21km morning run (in rain) and (ii) my love of pumpkin.

Turnaround is rapid and out it comes after 10 min.

Malted brown rice congee with mushroom, pumpkin and a poached egg - $18
Delicious and warm! Spoon #1 leaves me at contemplating a face-in-bowl situation. Think of this as a love child between a classic HK congee comfort food and a perfectly creamy pumpkin risotto.

I absolutely loved it and score this 10/10, no hesitation. After spoon #4, I stood up and proclaimed this a top 3 dish in Sydney.



I figured a side of 1/2 avocado would be a clever addition. My mistake. This was not particularly complementary and in effect a low yielding $4 investment.

A good friend gave a verbal 10/10 to the egg white omelette just 30 min earlier. Lucky the wife chooses this else she'd be forced into this regardless.

Egg white omlette with prawns, pork floss and chilli - $18
Sophistication and taste-wise, this outdoes the congee and quite possibly any brunch dish I've ever had. Every fluffy mouthful screamed flavour (and heat). My personal philosophy is that eating prawns for breakfast is a sign of success in life.

Chilli and pork floss, very unique
We did feel this was missing a carb component - an omelette without bread always feels lonely. No surprise then that the base portion size was appalling


Lorie scored 10/10 for taste, 2/10 for satiety. I concur.

I'd say on account of the weather and satiety, dish of the day is the congee. Several drool-worthy options not inhaled this time are the creamed corn fregola and pumpkin, bacon, maple tart. 

Pinbone menu
Straight 9s:  

- Food - 9/10 - incredibly tasty flavour combinations with healthy choices a big plus.
- Value - 9/10 - a $20 note gets you fine dining and $2 change for tipping .. unprecedented.
- Other - 9/10 - never seen such good service in a 'trending' cafe.
- Overall - 9/10 - a runaway success and a feed that you reminisce about in times of despair.

Pinbone is now in my top #3 brunches in Sydney.

Pinbone - top 3 Sydney brunch
Will I be returning?
yes

How can I be happy with such a tiny prawn omelette?
Underlying prawn count very good - next time this needs the side of toast.

Pinbone on Urbanspoon
.

You Might Also Like

0 comments