Melbourne Cup 14x3min Intervals

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Another sleepless night left me fretting over tired legs and 3 joyous options: 

- ride to Centennial, join a Timmy-led crew for 8x800s (ruled out, it's raining)
- another lunch recovery run (again?)
- 14x3min intervals at Farm Cove (I hate this session)

6 hours later, I lined up at Opera House Gates with just the hardcore. Chatted to Renee, PW and finally Sammy, who gave me a serve for tagging him a Monday Pensioner. 

Plan was a minimum 8 reps. Stupid me then volunteered for timekeeping the group to 4 min cycles. Can't pull out at 8, obviously. Sometimes this set gets easier, today it did NOT. 

Guest appearances upfront (Colin, Dave T, Jerome, Andy H, Lambert) but no one consistently leading aside from myself. It was struggle street the whole way. 

Got to 10, then pushed through 4 more purely motivated by my love of running. Unlike others, I used the 60s as a float. Pacing pretty steady at 3:20s - say 900m every 3 min. 10km race pace sounds about right.



14.7km in 55 min at 3:43 ave pace (with the float). Despite being slower than last month, I'm in poorer health. 

Add a 6km jog home, the body is in need of some R&R. Happy days finishing the set. I can put the feet up till JP Morgan (next Wednesday). Swim is on the cards tomorrow. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments