Aboutlife Cafe, Cammeray (12 October 2014)

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Some runners after Sunday long runs swear by chocolate milk, protein shakes or recovery bars. What do I do? I go brunching.

Lorie and I ventured out to About Life in Cammaray for our 1 year anniversary. Its a blended wholefoods grocer and cafe that sits on the north side of Miller street.

Celebratory brunch at About Life, Cammaray
Being a seasoned 'bruncher' that looks for taste, value and honesty above all else; what did I think?

Menu is fairly narrow, ranges $12-19 mains and has a variety of healthy options (egg variations, crazy smoothies, quinoa dishes).

I chose the smoked salmon and kale omelette, a blackboard special. Serving was generous, just the right amount of seasoning. Nonetheless, I am a touch insulted by the name 'superfood omelette' - think just a hearty omelette with some shredded kale and a few pieces of smoked salmon.

It just highlights the level of over-saturation of the word 'superfood' in today's food talk. Coming back to the dish, it's OK but still something I could whip up similar at home.

Superfood omelette - smoked salmon and kale - $15.50
Dish of the day goes to Lorie's choice - paleo breakfast with sweet potato frittata/hash and poached eggs. I got the classic food envy watching her bury her face in the sweet potato. I loved the crunchy texture of the hash which is a good balance to the oozing egg yolk.

Paleo Breakfast - $15.90
Biggest gripe was smoothies with over 10 ingredients and prices that made my eyes bleed. Charging $16.50 for a 'superfood' smoothie is like asking me to give up running - not going to happen. Scores as follows:

Food - 7/10 - relatively innovative, wholefoods focused menu
Value - 6/10 - some items up to $19, serving size fairly generous. Smoothie prices fail
Other - 5/10 - crappy main street exposure, limited and cramped seating, noisy
Overall - 6/10 - menu interesting but not mind-blowing. Value not enough to make this a regular spot. I rarely care about setting. 

I would say its a middle-of-the-pack brunch option. Happy to return occasionally for other specials. Full credit for their focus on wholefoods.  

Aboutlife Cafe
520 Miller Street
Cammeray, NSW 2062

Aboutlife Cafe on Urbanspoon

You Might Also Like

0 comments