SMC Smithfield 30k - 1st with a Course Record (1:49)

Sunday, February 22, 2015

To call this a race is a stretch. A hard training run is more appropriate.

HuRTS nice guy Brendan W (Wongy) pitched an offer on Friday too hard to refuse.

'A nice little club run down in Smithfield'.

Throw in (i) a free car pool, (ii) the promise that the 'regular' is about my pace, and the real clincher... (iii) food at the finish. All for a reasonable $25 race fee.

5:45am pickup and sticky conditions with high rain risk. Must also admit I have NO idea where Smithfield is.

The 10km is an out-and-back that combines rolling grass hills (sports fields, power station) then a few kms inside a pretty unremarkable reserve with a 5km turnaround. Only nasty bit is a 400m stretch where you climb 30m just after the 2km mark. Nothing to lose sleep over.

SMC 10km course map
If you rinse and repeat this 3x ... that's the 30k race.

No taper (obviously) and no plan (as always). Simply wanted to bank a LR with some mild curiosity over my fitness levels.

4 guys form the front at sub 4 min pace. I'm a VERY slow starter so I sit 40m behind as 'thatAsian guy from Cabramatta who has gone out too fast'. A little hill surge at 2.5km leaves just one (Tim) pushing 3:40s upfront.

I eyeball this guy and think ...'fit no doubt, but broad shoulders tick, awkward upper body rotation tick... he's a triathlete, not a runner'. Unless this is Crowy, very few other ironmen can run a sub 2:40 marathon. I should have this guy covered.

Next 5km is about bridging the gap, which I do bang on 10km. The clock shows 37:05 (slowest split).

Being 10-15kg lighter has advantages - i.e. hills. I put a good 50m on Tim on the ascent (12km), leaving just a lead bike to chase for 18km.

Post this, the race just became one to enjoy. A 30km PB is certainly not on my running bucket list. With a few hi-fives to Wongy, the only thing keeping my pace honest was random cheers plus my watch.

20km is passed in 73:35 and funny enough, all I can think about is what I want for breakfast!

Watch is relegated to the back pocket. I start soaking in the views and ponder property prices in Smithfield. An hour later I mentally wake up with 2km to go. Crossing the line, I conclude that were this a marathon, the 4th lap would really really hurt at 3:30 pace.

Saying that, a strong finish brings a tidy 3 min course record and a maiden 30km time as a future benchmark. I had the course a touch short.

1:49 for 30km at 3:40 min/km. 
- lap 1: 37:05
- lap 2: 36:30
- lap 3: 35:45

Also did this run with no breakfast, no gels and no water... pulled through fine.

Great monthly event all round, and the highlight was a little prize money! Enough to buy a box of donuts for example.

Wongy apparently blew up in the last 5kms, but banked a respectable 30km in 2:27.

114km for the week. Reasonably light on with no speed Tuesday, but two swims (Wed and Sat). Foot needs a rest and I should start the taper soon.


You Might Also Like

0 comments