Sotto on West, North Sydney (8 November 2014)

Saturday, November 08, 2014

Sotto on West is located on West Street, directly opposite to a larger arch nemesis in Cafe Eighty Ate (see review here). It's a good setup - well lit, cool spring breeze and a decor best described as both fun and homely. Staff are early 20s, friendly and service is quick.

Tip of the day - 'Hangry' wife equals miserable life
Is it unfair to deliberately move my long-run to Saturday just to accommodate my food adventures? Of course not... I am hungry, on the hunt for a solid brunch and my pencil is sharp.


What do you do whilst waiting for brunch-o-clock?
Sotto's menu is fairly cliched but has some interesting twists. The owner clearly loves bacon, an ingredient that features on half the menu. Sacrilegious yes, but sadly I don't eat bacon. 

Lorie's choice of the trio of mushrooms with poached eggs is excellent. Serving size is generous and mushrooms and goats cheese are a winning combination. The detail makes the difference - chopped chive garnish, wilted spinach and a refreshingly crunchy asparagus. Thanks to her ridiculously small size, she left me half!

Trio of mushrooms with poached eggs, goats cheese, asparagus on toast - $17.50
Any item with 'salad' always carries the risk of being over-priced rabbit food. So I did my due diligence on the warm winter green salad with poached eggs. I asked the (petite) waitress if this was hearty, to which the response was "yes its filling and you get a lot of greens."  Good enough answer for me so ordered it I did.

Warm winter salad with poached eggs - $17.00
When served, I pleaded with the waitress with my best puppy dog eyes 'where did the rest of it go'? Maybe I am too harsh, so here is a positive - fresh, crisp and clean flavours for the first three bites ... but then I was staring at an empty plate. I can also attest to the fact that my poached eggs were smaller than Lorie's dish.

The fancy balsamic criss-cross dressing underneath is best translated as 'I am a $5 dish dressed as a $17 dish' . It added nothing aside from arrogance, and the only time I ever want to see a criss-cross is on a hot cross bun. I was in a poor mood in the aftermath, a sentiment my wife had to deal with for the rest of the day.

Money not well spent
So on balance there was some positives (atmosphere, mushroom dish), more than offset by serious negatives (my dish, prices) to the experience.

Food - 5/10 - good clean flavours, well presented but very hit and miss with the items. 
Value - 3/10 - outright expensive, anything interesting is $17-22.
Other - 7/10 - staff  friendly and quick service. Let down was the waitresses' definition of 'hearty'.
Overall - 5/10 - will not be returning, left the place with a sad face. If you love bacon and are happy to pay $5 per dish for atmosphere, by all means give this a go.

Goodbye forever Sotto on West
Today's lessons learnt? 
1. Let Lorie order for me as I keep getting this wrong.
2. Only ask a waiter if a dish is 'generous' if he/she either runs 100km+ weekly or weighs 100kg+.

It's honestly hard to find an outstanding brunch cafe North of the Bridge. This is part of the reason we will be moving permanently to the Inner West in coming months. 


 Sotto on West on Urbanspoon



You Might Also Like

0 comments