HURTS 8x5min Intervals

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tuesdays always the toughest training day.

Started the day in the saddle with an easy 8km cycle to work.

By the time midday hit, I think the temperature moved above 30 degrees. Headed down to Opera House gates to join the HURTS 8 x 5min intervals with 90s rest. HURTS sessions really are getting a huge turnout now (50+).

Not sure how to pace this one, but MC suggested the session is done at half marathon pace (for me, 3:35min/km). Essentially it involves four out and back reps of the cove, starting at Opera House Gates and ending as far as you can get in 5 minutes (for me, around Mrs Macquarie's Chair, down the ramp about 100m).

I did well to stick on the heels of Chairman Tom on the first two reps at 3:25min/km pace, but holding that pace did take its toll by the final rep. Heat was absolutely torture but overall, felt I got a lot of benefit from the session. Usual suspects up front with me including Andy Cross, Tommy and Enda.

11.8km in 40:05 (excluding rest time), average pace 3:25min/km

Finished the day off with a painfully slow cycle back to Artarmon, followed by my usual touch footy game.

Fatigue score around 8. Will look to rest tomorrow as I am experiencing some soreness under the left arch.

You Might Also Like

0 comments